National Youth Orchestra of Iraq comes to Bonn
National Youth Orchestra of Iraq was formed by 18-year-old Iraqi pianist Zuhal Sultan, who in 2008 turned to the British public to drum up support for a magnificent idea: the formation of a national Iraqi youth symphony orchestra. The idea received broad coverage in the press, which helped the orchestra to find a conductor - Paul MacAlindin. Already in the summer of 2009, 33 young Iraqi musicians from both Kurdish and Arab regions met for the first time to make music together at a two-week summer academy held in the northern Iraqi city of Suleymaniyah.
Taking into account the political and security situation, the orchestra project was brought into being through the enormous commitment of all those involved, with help from the Kurdish government and the British Council. Following the overwhelming success and given the high level of musical motivation on the part of the young people, a second working session was organized for the summer of 2010 in Erbil, which attracted widespread national and international interest.
Now In 2011 the "Orchestra Campus" will be continued with the invitation of the National Youth Orchestra of Iraq. Deutsche Welle and Beethovenfest Bonn and for the first time, have decided to support an ensemble from a crisis region. The crucial factor in this decision was the private, unpaid commitment of students, teachers, organizers and politicians along with the favourable social and political outlook for the country.
For More info about the NYOI visit http://www.facebook.com/NYO.IRAQ
Programme of Events: SAT 1. OCT 2011, 8 p.m.
The motto of the Beethovenfest 2011 is "Music for the Future. Beethoven, Liszt and Innovation in Music".
Transcending Borders - Campus Concert at the Beethovenhalle
- Arabella Steinbacher (Violin)
- National Youth Orchestra of Iraq
- Members of the National Youth Orchestra of Germany
- Paul MacAlindin (Conductor)
- Ali Authman: "Invocation" (world premiere, Kurdish work commissioned by Deutsche Welle)
- Mohammed Amin Ezzat: Orchestral work (world premiere, Arab work commissioned by Deutsche Welle)
- Joseph Haydn: Symphony No. 104 D-Dur Hob. I:104
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Concerto for violin and orchestra in D major op. 61
Posted by : JMI